Friday 7 November 2014

Mascara's For Your Eyebrows?

Ok, so there has been a recent increase in the amount of brow gels or "mascaras for your eyebrows" as I like to call them hitting the shelves. The three main ones that have stuck out to me are the Benefit Gimmie Brow, Maybelline Brow Drama and of course the newest release being Rimmel's Brows This Way. Now, let's get personal for a moment. Ever since my dear old mother allowed my Auntie to hack away at my eyebrows with way, way, way too much wax I have had trouble with thin, sparse eyebrows. Three years later and they're starting to look much fuller and even (thank you to the girl at the Benefit Brow Bar who did such a good job getting them even again. You are my hero).
Now, I am not one for filling in brows. The whole concept of having to use a brush to flick powder through my eyebrow to add shape and thickness is daunting. But (and there is a but thankfully) when I stumbled across Benefit's Gimmie Brow earlier this year I've never not left the house without some form of product being wacked onto my brows. Gimmie Brow is in one word, wonderful. I was skeptical at first but it was my sister who convinced me that it would be well worth the £17.50 after the benebabe in Manchester demonstrated how much filling in your eyebrows can transform your makeup look.
Out of the three gels I'll be talking about in this post, Gimmie Brow is most definitely my favourite. It's like nothing I have ever used before. It fills in your eyebrows and sets them in place without having that shiny/waxy finish. I think the main thing that makes this product so different from every other brow gel in the market is that it has tiny fibres in it that work a treat at filling in any pesky gaps without making your brows look drawn on. All in all, I can't say enough good things about this product: it's easy, simple, quick and just wonderful to use. This has worked amazingly for me and I would 100% recommend it to anyone who is looking for a quick fix for sparse and unruly eyebrows.
Benefit Gimmie Brow is available in two shades: Light/Medium and Medium/Deep. I currently use the Light/Medium shade which is too light for my eyebrows but I can still make it work by layering the product a couple of times.
The second brow gel I have tried is the Maybelline Brow Drama. After seeing it in action on Sam from Pixiwoo and hearing her say she liked the product I had to go out and immediately buy myself one. And that's what I did. And that's where it all went wrong. The brush that comes with brow drama has a sphere shaped nib (nib? Is that the right description?) which makes the application of the product much harder than when using Gimmie Brow. Not only does it get all over my forehead and underneath my eyebrow making me look like I have some sort of eyebrow stubble or that I'm well overdue a waxing appointment, it just doesn't fill in the sparse areas. Not only that but the finish has a rather waxy look which I found was a little too obvious that I'd tried to fill my brows in.
I think that brow drama is a very love hate product. You either like it or you don't. Although I won't personally be repurchasing this if you want to give it a go it's available for £4.99 at Boots and comes in four shades.
Now we're coming to the end of this post with our final review of the Rimmel Brow This Way. This is available in three shades for £3.99 at Boots. When I first saw this I thought it might be a dupe for the Gimmie Brow because of the size of the bottle but when I got home there were a few things which stood out that are very different between the two. Firstly, the size of the wand. It is massive in comparison to the Gimmie Brow wand and I found that I've not been able to have as much control when distributing the product on my brows. Also, the amount of product that the wand picks up is insane. I think I spent more time wiping off excess product that I didn't need back onto the bottle than I did actually applying it. If you want to see this in action I recommend you watch Vivianna Does Makeup's new beauty launches video where she explains a little more and you can get a bit more of a feel for the product. For me, its a no go and I'll be sticking to my Gimmie Brow until something, if anything, better comes along.
If you've made it to the end of this post (yes, it was a very long one, I do apologise) leave a comment letting me know what your must have brow product is.

No comments:

Post a Comment